Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, June 03, 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
To date I have raised $1, 250 for the Canadian Cancer Society! One week tonight until I get my head shaved!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Large bags of garbage from the 70's and 80's.

I found some of it today. I had forgot it was there so when I stumbled across it was a very ugly discovery. It started with my son's track and field day. He didn't want to go because he isn't "a fast enough runner". (his words.) That's when I found the garbage. It was in bags called insecurity, low self-worth and self-esteem. I had quite forgot it was there shoved way back in the closet of my mind. I did't know what to say to my son so I asked him if he wanted to stay home. He said he didn't because his team needed him. So I sent him off this morning with words of encouragement and to just have fun. When I picked him up I could tell it had not gone well. He was feeling awful. I asked him how the day went and he said he didn't get a single ribbon. I had a long chat with him about some people are really good at some things while others are better at others. These are the things I found out while growing up that I didn't know when I was his age. And trust me, it's true. My son is excellent in Tae Kwon Do and has natural ability. He was reading at a 4th grade level in grade 1. He is also a true humanitarian. The most generous of spirits. So he doesn't excel at track and field. No big deal right? Right. But to a 9 year old it is a big deal and I don't know how to show him this lesson. I don't want him to struggle with the same feelings of worthlessness that I did at his age. At the end of the conversation I told him that running really fast was only ever going to be important if he was being chased by a great big dog and the dog was going to bite his butt. He laughed. I really hope he understood what I was trying to tell him. And that he wont find the same bags of garbage in the back of his closet when he is my age.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jezzy said...

You're such a great Mum! I wish someone told me things like that when I came last in Every. Single. Race! *cries*

1:28 a.m.  
Blogger Phyllis said...

What you said to him was a great thing! He will remember that. Encourage him to show his other talents.

1:46 a.m.  
Blogger Queen on the run said...

YAY For all that moola you have gotten for the canadian cancer society!!!
******
I think you did a great job encouraging your son and showing him that being the fastest runner isn't the most important thing in the world. I also think that because it is so fresh in your mind now that you will be on the alert for ways to boost his self esteem and his ego and self worth.
Children learn by example mom!!!:):):)

2:39 a.m.  
Blogger wanda said...

Wow, you are such a great Mom! You are dead on about that whole running thing.
On the other hand being a humanitarian AND a great reader has POTENTIAL written all over them!
Try not to worry too much. With you for a Mom, he'll do just fine.

1:28 p.m.  
Blogger Jill said...

You're a great mom - he's lucky to have you! I'll bet he remembers your chat for the rest of his life.

12:36 a.m.  
Blogger gal artist said...

That was a wonderful way of putting it. I definitely agree with the others.

I believe that each person has there own gifts and talents. And I also believe that everyone has bags of garbage like you describe. I know I do.

3:54 a.m.  
Blogger Cori said...

What a great mom you are. My son runs track and is not very fast-but he just enjoys being out there.I encourage your son to know that he does not have to "win" to enjoy something.

8:10 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosting by Photobucket