Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, November 21, 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend
~
I am finally saying goodbye to my robe after 14 years. She has seen me move into my first home. She was there when I lost 25 pounds from morning sickness that lasted all day and four months straight. She was at the hospital for the birth of two children and saw me fumbling with my breasts while learning to breast feed. She has been peed on while I learned to keep the penis covered until you are ready to put on the clean diaper and the back of her has been vomited on by sick babies. She has kept me warm while I walked the house with my daughter who cried and cried and cried for what seemed like forever. Her sleeve has been used to wipe kids runny noses when I was just too tired to get up and get a Kleenex (be honest, every mom has done this!) She has also been there to keep me warm through a separation when I had no longer had anyone to snuggle with. She has seen me at 120 pounds and 165 (not pregnant). She sat up with me when I heard that Princess Diana was killed in a car crash and was there as I sat up all night and watched her funeral and wept for her boys. Her pockets have held remote controls, children's tylenol and wadded up tissues. The collar is stained from the times I have coloured my hair.
She is old now. One pocket is torn off and hanging by threads. She is no longer a pretty pink but a faded existence of her former self. The belt that keeps her closed was used by my son to tie something up and hasn't been seen for a better part of a year. She is really quite unattractive now, downright ugly actually. Threadbare and stained. I couldn't give her away, who would want her?
Today while shopping I saw a new robe. Thick and plush with 5 pockets. A nice thick terry cloth robe that will keep me warm no matter how chilly I get as a single woman.
But how can I say goodbye? It should be easy! But it isn't. I think I have a space for her in the back of my closet. She has a legacy and I can never throw that away.

19 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

I hear ya! I'm sitting here doing a bit of blog maintenance in my trusty green terry robe that I bought especially for the hospital stay when my son was born. Funny, when I put it on tonight, I was thinking about the darned thing's history... Guess there's a "ratty robe" vibe in the air right now!

12:42 a.m.  
Blogger Catherine said...

*sniff* You're making me cry too early in the morning.

5:16 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, so sentimental...just like me! ;o) Actually, your old robe sounds like it could make a good snuggly nest for a cat.

9:59 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Gosh, we can be crazy old cat ladies together!
Sorry you're having to say goodbye to your robe. It's always hard to replace something that has been around so long and is so comfy. I have to give up my old, battered, torn and worn leather coat this year. I tried last year and it didn't quite make it out of the closet even though it was replaced. My hubby rolls his eyes and pretends he's not with me when I wear it now.
I enjoyed your writings. Will be back again :)

10:57 a.m.  
Blogger Queen on the run said...

WHo knew a person could be brought to tears over a robe!!!!!
You are an excellent writer. I vote for making a quilt with material from her. That way no matter what she will always be with you:)

11:16 a.m.  
Blogger Bella said...

Awwwww. That was a sweet goodbye to robe.

The only thing I have are my Doc Martin's that my mother bought me when I was 14. I am 31 now and I still wear them. As a matter of fact, I have them on right now, here at work. :)

1:02 p.m.  
Blogger Terri said...

I will never look at my robe the same way again. Thanks for making me think back.

1:27 p.m.  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh do I understand about not throwing out a long-time friend, like one's robe! I was thinking as I read your post...how is she going to part with this truly wonderful old friend? And I'm glad you aren't! I've got a robe that has been through a lot, too and luckily, it still looks okay and feel great, too...It's over twenty years old and does not have a tear in it or anything! Honestly, this is the longest I've EVER had a robe....and I LOVE IT!!!
And, as long as it still looks pretty darn good, I'm not retiting it!

1:51 a.m.  
Blogger gal artist said...

Sometimes it's hard to let go of memories.

Honestly, I have articles of clothing for years and years. I spotted my old High School jacket hanging in the back of my closet, how long have I had THAT, since 1979. But it's a memory I just can't part with, along with so many other things.

3:50 p.m.  
Blogger mer said...

awww! i agree with the quilt idea... you could use old clothes of yours and your kids in addition to your beloved robe :)

5:31 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Keep the robe. She will comfort you again one day.

5:53 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

I think every mommy has a robe like this, or something along the lines.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving

7:30 p.m.  
Blogger Susan said...

Once you get the new robe broken in, you may find it easier to part with old faithfull.

8:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's actually a really touching story. It absolutely should be tucked away somewhere. There's an awful lot of emotion in those threadbare little pockets and sleeves.

But good for you for finding a new one to create some memories in. :)

10:11 a.m.  
Blogger kenju said...

I have some good "robe memories" too. Michele sent me tonight.

6:15 p.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

Sounds like you figured out the perfect way to say goodbye!

Here via Michele's!

6:15 p.m.  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

i have one of those shirts. it went thru a couple of husbands, and c aouple of children. it has bleach spots, and a hole or five in the arms. its in my dresser. its my favorite. every now and then i pull it out, think about putting it on, and see how ratty it is. i put it back in the drawer for another day, usually... but every once in a while, when i am alone in the house with just my memories and a glass of wine, i curl up in that old shirt adn some flannel pj bottoms. its the best.

9:27 p.m.  
Blogger dena said...

You should make some throw pillows with pieces of the tired robe. That way she'd still be with you, and still be sharing in what will be the next great round of memories. You could make patchwork pillows with the robe fabric, and some other pieces of fabric. I think they'd be great.

7:47 p.m.  
Blogger dena said...

Did I mention michele? Oooops - better do that now.

7:47 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosting by Photobucket