Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, November 11, 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Take a few minutes to watch this video.
~
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
~
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.
~
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
~
I want my kids to memorize this poem as I did when I was a child. I worry about my kids forgetting or worse, not knowing. Our veterans are getting old and dying. Will we remember in 25 years from now? I hold my freedom in the highest regard and am so thankful.
~
Update - So yes, I have decided that my kids will memorize this poem. They will have one week to memorize the first verse, then we will work on the other verses. I know they can memorize it much quicker but I don't want it to be something they learn quickly and forget but learn it and it stays with them.We have also discussed at length the meaning if this poem.
All this week I have been talking to them specifically about Hitler and his plans for taking over the world, killing millions and how brave men and women stood up and said that what he was doing was wrong. I told them how people said that is was not our war and not our problem. I told them when innocent people are dying there needs to be people who stand up for what if right.
Perhaps this is a topic too big for children to hear about. I just think of how many children have been killed under the rule of evil dictators and know that this topic is something they need to know about.

3 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

We mustn't ever forget. I think it's great that you are teaching your children about the sacrifices made for them.

5:01 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a wonderful link. I'm a wife of a Disabled Vet, who gave his all for his country. He was in the first Gulf War, and now suffers from many medical problems.
Our children know what their daddy did and what our men and women still do. Freedom isn't Free.
~Carol

9:57 p.m.  
Blogger Queen on the run said...

It is true, children must know about the horrible things some people in this world do. Otherwise we are leaving them unprepared. And that would be so tragic.

3:39 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosting by Photobucket