Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, February 17, 2006

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Do you ever just feel lost as a parent? My separation/divorce has been going on for four years and my kids are just not getting better. If anything they seem to be regressing. I am told that this is the way that grief works and some days are better than others. A fellow I work with is also going through a divorce and his kids are the same ages as mine. He says they are doing just fine and have already met his girlfriend. They don't seem to be grieving or having outbursts.
I am trying so hard for them to be at a place of acceptance but they both just seem to grieve. I have them in counseling again and have signed them up for
Rainbow's. I have read books to them and spent hours on the internet looking for ways to help them through this. I have talked to them and made little cards to help them to express their feelings. Nothing is helping. I am getting scared for them. By no means do I ever expect them to "get over it". They will likely grieve this one until the are adults and beyond. I just want them to be happy again. I don't want them to cry so much. I don't want them to hurt like they are. They only thing that would help is if I got back with their dad and that won't happen. I don't know what to do. It is my job as a parent to raise them to be adults and I am failing.
Have any of you dealt with this? If so what helped? What didn't help? Help!
~
One more thing...I need you all to pray for something! I lost something and have torn my house apart looking for it. I know for sure it has never left the house! Gah! Please pray that I find it because I am certainly not going to find it on my own power. It is now up to Him!

5 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

You are not failing, just talk to them and more importantly, listen to them, validate their feelings. They will get through this.

I have dealt with this, now that my kids are adults, they understand better the why's of it. And they all know that I did the best thing I could for all of us.

No, it's not easy, not for anyone, but it can be worked through. One day at a time.

5:05 a.m.  
Blogger wanda said...

Having raised four children of my own I know a little bit about children. However having never gone through a divorce I can't speak with any real authority in regards to how it affects children. I have watched my grandson go through first his parents divorce and then his mother's subsequent divorces. It's been hard on him and I worry that he may be holding a lot of what he feels inside, but there's not much I can do.
Now, as far as children in general are conserned I do believe there comes a point when we have to teach them that life is hard sometimes and one simply has to learn to live with what fate has dealt us. You cannot fix this. They are both going to have to learn to accept that the marriage is over and your not going to be a one household family anymore. Fighting it and denying it won't change it and it won't make it go away. Telling them you're sorry they are hurting, but that they have to accept this and move forward is all you can do. When they start showing signs of being depressed, or crying, try to encourage them to get out and do something active. Play with their friends, go shopping, just get out of the house and think about something else. It's not easy but it has to be done. They have to move on. There is no alternative.
I guess that's called the tough love approach.

12:41 p.m.  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

My kids are fine with the divorce. They say it is better than watching the arguing..
And while they live with me they see their Mom as often as they want..

4:25 p.m.  
Blogger Queen on the run said...

Its there and you will find it.
When it comes to the kids, the power to help them heal is within themselves. They are more resiliant then even they know.
Talking to other kids who have gone through the same thing might help them alot. My friend Derek did that with his daughter Jen. There was a group at her school for kids with seperated or divorced parents. That helped her a lot. Everything will be okay in the end and your kids will never forget that you where there for them.

2:52 p.m.  
Blogger Phyllis said...

I'm praying for you. You probably found it by now since you gave Him the power to find it!
As far as kids....never had any.

11:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosting by Photobucket