Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Image hosted by
The last several months I have been having a heart arrhythmia and tachycardia. Other than the odd, "Hmmm that's odd" I have not thought much about it. This last week it has been happening a little more and last night it was quite bad. I went to see my doctor today on my lunch break who ordered a immediate ECG. He also ordered a 24 hour heart rate monitor for next week. My normal resting heart rate is at between 90 -110. That is high! I haven't received the results of the ECG but I am guessing it is normal ot I would have heard back. I realize a resting heart rate can vary according to ones fitness level but I am not that out of shape. He feels the problem may be electrical. Tonight I am going to take a rest from exercising and will talk to him tomorrow about what he suggests until I get the results back from the heart rate monitor.


Anonymous Lujza said...

Hmmm, I'll say a prayer for you. I know how "weird" these things can feel. I have a heart murmur that I got from having Mono (very bad) when I was a teen. I went through a period of 6 months (just a couple of years ago) where my heart "skipped", maybe as much as 30 times a day. It's settled down now, but I still get that "flutter" every once in a while...kinda makes you feel like your lungs are filling up or something. Oh I also had a virus in the lining of my heart a long time ago....I thought I was having a heart attack. I actually find it skips the most now...when I exercise. See...I knew working out was bad for you!

Take care and I'll be thinking of you!

1:35 a.m.  
Blogger Library Mama said...

How frightening for you!

I'm glad the doctor is taking your concerns seriously.

Rest up, and hopefully the findings from your monitor will be favourable.

Take care.

7:05 a.m.  
Blogger Bella said...

I'm so sorry, that must me scary. You will be in my thoughts and things will be okay. :)

11:56 a.m.  
Anonymous Mike said...

As you know, a normal heart beat depends on alot of facotrs from age, to fitness level and genetics. The general standard is between 80-120 is considered "normal" for most people.

But what is normal for most, may NOT be normal for you, and if accompanied by other signs and symptoms it can be an early warning sign of something minor or serious.

The good news is that it isn't in a range that is considered overly stressfull on the heart such as 160-200+ bpm. Most of the time electrical issues are easily corrected and the heart muscle and valves are completely healthy and fine.

The 24hr monitor will give them more info as well as a possible stress test. Now a days if you don't feel like doing the whole treadmill thing, they can do it via medicine instead in a nuclear medicine facility.

I know it can be scary, but it sounds like your doctor is being very proactive as are you. Before you change anything in your schedule though, you might want to ask him about it.

Hope all goes well and please keep us informed!

12:08 p.m.  
Blogger Jenny said...

I hope that everything will be fine. Try not to worry too much. I know it can be scary. When I was pregnant my heart rate was out of control (over 200 bpm) and they had to put me on medication. I will be thinking of you and wishing for good results.

12:36 p.m.  
Anonymous happy and blue 2 said...

I'm sure everything will be ok. My sister has a high (around 100 resting heart rate). She always has been like that..
Anyways, hope you get the results back from your doctor soon. Waiting sucks..

5:04 p.m.  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Do you drink alot of coffe tea or cocoa? Smoke? The caffeine makes my heart flutter.
Good luck!!

5:19 p.m.  
Blogger kelly said...

I sure hope everything turns out all right. Good for you for going in and having a doc check you out.

I took myself to the ER last November because I was having scary and weird (but not painful) skipping or fluttering heartbeat. They put me on the EKG for a while and I continued to flutter/skip, but they said it was no big deal, lay off the caffeine, stress and the biggest culprit of all: the leftover Halloween candy. Sure enough, two days later, sans chocolate and caffeine, I was back to normal, but I'll always have stress, I guess. Five hours in the ER was worth it, just for someone to tell me I wasn't going to die.

2:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Image hosted by
Image hosting by Photobucket