Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, July 07, 2006

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A raise always brings more responsibility. I have worked overtime everyday this week and have been given the keys to open and close. I don't want the keys! That puts me responsible for more than I care to admit. I don't want the responsibility. Bah. I prefer being a sluggard! (Just kidding!)
Seriously, I don't like working overtime but it will increase my pay cheque (pay check for those south of the border.) I have one very small debt I need to pay off to my strata committee then I can start putting some away for savings. I don't own a credit card and choose to only buy what I can afford to pay cash for. I have followed this principle all of my adult life with the exception of a mortgage and a student loan. I am hoping with this increase in my pay cheque I will be able to start saving for a new car. (Well, new to me anyway.) My Mazda is 18 years old and though she runs like a dream I know she can't keep going forever. My kids are getting older and I am fairly certain my daughter is going to need braces so the money won't stay in savings for long!
Other than that I have no plans for the money. I believe in Simple Living. (Though I have a TV, I don't have cable. This computer is not quite a dinosaur but will soon be one. I buy second-hand clothes and don't ever buy extravagant. Quite honestly, I have lived this way for so long I don't think I would ever handle winning the lottery! (How pathetic is that?)

5 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

Some people should learn from your example. I know people who live on credit cards, I don't know how they do it.

I pay cash and buy second hand a lot. And except for the mortgage and the car loan, we haven't acquired any new debt and working on paying off the old. My goal is to be totally debt free. We just paid another debt off. Woo woo!!

5:27 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the raise and the additional responsibility at work. Well on the raise anyways,tee,hee.
There's always a catch when one gets a raise..

Your money habits are good. Wish mine were more like that..

6:33 a.m.  
Blogger Library Mama said...

Your spending habits really are commendable. I try to do things like that, but I'm not always successful. I do buy second-hand occasionally, and I'm proud to say that my kids are the kind that will wear second-hand without too much fuss, and actually turn their noses up at people who must buy fancy name brands.

I'm so happy for you about your raise. And I know the added responsibility can be a little overwhelming, but you will quickly grow into it.

Lastly - regarding the lottery - I think you could learn to handle it if you had to. ;-D

6:46 a.m.  
Blogger Phyllis said...

It is not pathetic at all!
I am trying really hard to get my cards all paid off and throw all but one away. I will keep one for on-line shopping and pay it off at the end of each month.
You are very disciplined to live frugally like that. You have all you need and don't worry about all the stuff you don't have and will throw away in a year!

12:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone could learn from your example. That is a very good way to live. Good job!

3:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosting by Photobucket