Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, November 06, 2006

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

He's right...


I often have the "Life's Not Fair" discussion with my kids. After school today I rallied the kids to help with unloading the dishwasher, folding and putting away laundry, vacuuming and tidying the living room.

After an hour of work The Discussion started.


Boy W - "I am tired. I want to go watch a video."

Me - "The house is a mess and it needs to be cleaned up."

Boy W- "But I already unloaded the dishwasher and folded laundry."

Me - "You are not done yet. You need to go clean up around the hamster's cage. It is a mess."

Boy - "But that's not fair!"

Me - "Whoever said life would be fair Boy W? The hamster belongs to you! How is it not fair? Who else should be cleaning the mess?"

Boy W- "The hamster?"
~~~
I got the above picture off the net. It came off a parenting site that said to ask your kids what they think is fair when the, "It's not fair" discussion comes up. Sorry to all you parenting experts out there but give it up. Life isn't fair. No boss in the world is going to deal with your child this way and you are not doing them any favours by discussing things.
Yup. Life isn't fair and best to teach them when they are young to suck it up and deal with it. The best way to be happy in this life is not to avoid the bumps along the way buy learn how to ride over them and still do your best. It is crap parenting like this that makes kids unable to deal with the real world.


6 Comments:

Blogger Bloomin'Chick Jo said...

it seems like everyone forgets they are children and need to learn ~ they're not just mini adults and i think treating them as such is contributing to a lot of the problems we're having in this day & age!

6:09 a.m.  
Blogger LJ said...

I like this parenting scenario. It gives me a glimpse into "normal" parent and child interaction. You are by far a great parent!

8:22 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think most parental advice is made up by people who have never had kids.
I always tell mine that it gets more unfair as you age,so enjoy the easier unfairness while you can,ha,ha..

4:24 p.m.  
Blogger BoshyWorld said...

I agree fully...the hamster should clean it's own mess..hehehe

what a good answer...sounds to me like a chip off the old mum's block...anyway I like your thinking about teaching them to suck it up and get on with it because your right...teaching them any other way is doing them a disservice because that's not how life is...

If you have any British people that come to your page apart from me...I have a very important message on my Weblog about the Tax refund that must be claimed before the end of 2006 and time is running out I'm trying to let as many people know about it as possible...

All the best...Boshy...

3:43 a.m.  
Blogger Bella said...

I agree with you on that one!!!!

Your kids help you clean??? I am so jealous. I fight everyday to get Belle to do something. Sometimes, I'll come home and she's done everything but then she thinks it gives her the right to do nothing for next six months.

Kids.....

12:09 p.m.  
Blogger PBS said...

Yes, parents who want to "be friends" with their children are shirking their responsibilities as parents!

4:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosting by Photobucket