Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I remember my mom telling me that she remembers when JFK was shot. I remember wondering why that event would make a difference in her life. I thought it more odd that she would remember exactly where she was when she found out. I didn't understand why she wouldn't just try to forget.


I know I will never forget where I was when I heard about the Challenger and Princess Diana. I will never forget the images that were played over and over on the TV. Sometimes I wish they could be erased from my mind. I also remember 9/11. I know where I was. Where were you? I would be surprised if you told me you didn't remember. We all have the same movie of the second plane that will plays over in our minds.


Now that my kids are getting older I wonder what events will be a part of their lives. I don't even want to guess. I want them to know about resiliency and that though these events cause our spirits to crumble for a time, they also cause us to unify and we gain strength through our unity.


I have been honored by the people that God has put in my life to pull me through periods of personal grief. I have deeper friendships because of them and thankful for these events because they have caused a greater good.


Don't let me ever forget the bad times. I am stronger because I have fallen.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen!

As far as 911...I remember it clearly. It was a beautiful morning here in B.C., my daughter was but just over 2 months old...I had finished nursing her in bed, when my sister called and told me the news. I turned the t.v. on in our bedroom and then called my husband...I asked, "are we gonna be okay?"...he was a stunned as I was....I had counseling soon after.

10:18 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

I remember where I was when I heard that John Lennon had been shot. And I'll always remember 9/11 as both the day the WTC was attacked, and the day that my husband was released from the hospital a week following his first heart attack. An unimaginably bad day, but a good one as well.

10:44 p.m.  
Blogger Joe Robinsmith said...

What a good post. Made me think. I think that's a good thing at least. LOL.

9:17 p.m.  
Blogger sharon said...

Bad things are gonna happen no matter what, and there's no way to give comfort sometimes when the situation is so devastating. However, I know what you mean about it making those of us remaining stronger. Sometimes the worst events in our lives are the biggest teachers.
After 9/11 Alicia and I would look at pictures of memorials. We rejoiced in the fact that we saw everyone from little old ladies, to children, to blue haired punks full of piercings, all coming together for the same reason. It gave us hope that such a tragedy would unite us so strongly, no mater from what walk of life we all come.

10:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosting by Photobucket