Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Why I am a Bad Parent

Has your child ever said something so shocking that you couldn't help but laugh? First let me say I am a very strict parent and expect both of my kids to be very respectful of adults. They use the terms Mr. and Mrs. When they meet an adult the are expected to stand up and greet the person and shake hands. They are not to interrupt. They say, please, thank you and excuse me. So when my child brazenly cuts down an adult I am supposed to become serious and discipline the child appropriately. Yes. I am.
Tonight my son was telling me about his substitute teacher. As we were chatting he lowered his voice and said,
"She's an old bag".
I just stared. If he had told me his teacher did handsprings while playing a ukulele I could not have been more shocked. And then I started to laugh. I gasped between the laughter and double checked that I heard properly. (I had.) I had to go into the bathroom where he heard me double over in fits of laughter. It was so funny! OK, I know it wasn't. But it was. (I did eventually tell him how disappointed I was but I think the lesson was lost.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Hillary said...

hehe, that's awesome. I think that makes you a GOOD parent, letting your kids know that, well, some things are just funny, and it's ok to laugh. He didn't say it to her face (hopefully!), and you've obvioulsy taught him well so that he lowers his voice when he tells you that! Face it, some teachers ARE old bags! Sheesh, sometimes *I* feel like such an old bag!

That's really funny!

(Kinda like when my cousin got suspended in grade 8 for bringing fart spray to school. One of his friends let if off, but he got the wrap. His parents could barely speak through their laughter! hehe.

8:38 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was funny. Kinda makes me think back of myself when I was young. I would have probably said the same thing to my grandmother who raised me and she would have probably laughed. I was raised the same as your kids and it didn't hurt me any but what he said was innocent and really funny. By today's standards his comment was harmless. More parents should raise their kids the way you do.

3:17 a.m.  
Blogger sharon said...

Yup, I'm guessing she IS an old bag. Sometimes we all need to say something that may be considered inappropriate, but is still true. It's nice that he knows he can say what he feels to you.

11:20 a.m.  
Blogger Jezzy said...

That's funny. Kids say such funny things that are also the wrong things to say! It makes me wonder how many times my own parents laughed after I left the room.

11:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosting by Photobucket